Events Open to the Public
Alcohol events that are open to the general public require approval on a case-by-case basis from the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission because the University of Alberta's alcohol license is for private events only. A Public Special Event License application needs to be submitted to the AGLC and can take 8-12 weeks to process.
To have a public event approved, the online application must be completed and a written proposal must be submitted to Conference Services at least four months in advance of the event. The written proposal must include:
● A detailed site plan
● Time, date, location, purpose of event
● List of activities, entertainment planned
● Details about food and beverages to be provided
● Emergency plan
● Security details
Once this application is submitted and approved by the University of Alberta, you must work with Conference Services to complete an application for a Public Special Event License and submit it to the AGLC for approval three months in advance of the event.
The Primary Event Organizer must have written approval from the University of Alberta before obtaining a Special Event License (SEL) to hold an outdoor event on campus.
In addition to completing the online application, a written proposal must be submitted to Conference Services at least three months in advance of the event. The written proposal must include:
● A site plan
● Permission in writing from Building and Grounds Services and/or the booking office in charge of the area
● Permission/authorization from the Deans of the Faculties, Chairs of the Departments, and/or Residence Coordinators of any residences that may be inconvenienced by the event, either by noise or proximity
● Evidence that the area will be “physically separated” or cordoned off from any public areas and will be adequately supervised
● Evidence that the music will be directed away from buildings that are holding classes, and will be at an acceptable volume
● Evidence that adequate toilet facilities are in the direct area or that portable toilets will be provided at a ratio of one for every 100 people at the event
● Evidence that written notices have been delivered to the areas that could be inconvenienced by the noise
If you have problems accessing the online form, please contact us at 780-492-6057 or email@example.com