Please note that campus alcohol events held under our Class C license must only be advertised to University of Alberta staff, students, alumni and their invited guests (including anything advertised on a website, poster, by word of mouth, etc). 

Events held under a Private Special Event License must only be advertised by personal invitations.

Alcohol events that are open to the general public require approval on a case-by-case basis from the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission because the University of Alberta's alcohol license is for private events only. Please read about the approval process for Special Events if you intend to invite the general public to an alcohol event on campus. This application process must be started at least 3 months before your event.

Here are some example of popular event venues on campus that have a Class C (Post Secondary) license, and must adhere to the "members only" advertising rule:

  • Arts Lounge & Convocation Hall
  • PCL Lounge (Centennial Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences)
  • Katz Atrium
  • Stollery Executive Development Centre (5th floor, Alberta School of Business)
  • Students' Union Building
  • TELUS International Centre Atrium
  • most academic buildings
If you have questions about licensing of specific locations on campus or advertising rules, please contact us. For more information on advertising rules under Class C licenses, please refer to the AGLC Handbook, section 7.2.