Vehicle Security Awareness
The University of Alberta's Parking Services and University Protective Services are working with the Edmonton Police Service to help them promote their city-wide campaign against theft from vehicles.
While the University of Alberta's parking lots are regularly patrolled by University Protective Services, you play a key role in protecting your vehicle.
You can keep your car and valuables safe by following these simple tips from the Alberta Motor Association:
- Park in a sensible place, avoiding unlit areas at night.
- Remove the ignition key and activate the steering lock.
- Lock your doors and close all windows.
- Hide your valuables out of sight or take them with you.
- Take extra keys out of your vehicle.
- Do not leave your insurance or registration in your vehicle.
- Do not leave your garage door opener in plain sight.
- Always replace the lighter plug once you're finished powering accessories like GPS, satellite radios, and/or radar detectors. Leaving the plug open signals that you may have equipment worth stealing.
- Use an anti-theft device on your steering wheel.
If you do experience a break-in while parked on campus property, please contact University Protective Services immediately at 780.492.5050. We thank you for your attention to this matter.